Spice cake is one of my favorite desserts always reminds me of home. My mother made a spice cake during the holiday seasons and it was so comforting for me. I love warming spices and smells that come with them. You will always find my burning the spice scented candles all year long. Creating this cake is a sense of comfort for me without the sugar spikes, yay!
I love having this covered in a buttercream icing or even a simple spread of grass fed butter on a blank slice of cake. This has all the flavors that bring out the sent of the holidays! For this recipe you will need...
1 + 1/4 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup Coconut Flour
2 TBL Tapioca Starch (this gives the cake a perfect spongey texture)!
1 tsp Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Cloves
1 tsp PumpkinPie Spice
1+ 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Wet ingredients :
4 Eggs (room temp)
4 TBL coconut oil (melted, but not hot)
1/3 cup Nut Milk
1/2 cup Sugar free sweetener (I used Lakanto Sweetener Monk-fruit)
3 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1) Hand whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl, then set aside.
2) In a separate bowl beat the eggs with hand mixer on high for 1 min.
3) Then add the rest of your wet ingredients, mix well with a high speed blender until you have a reached a visible amount of foam again : *Note* This help creates a light spongy texture in the cake
4) Add the wet to dry and mix for 1-2 min. until well combined: *Note*Batter should be on the thinner side (like cake batter)
5) Pour in well greased round cake pan and Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min.
Leave cake for 5-10 min to cool before removing from your can tin. TIP always be sure to Let any cake completely cool before icing other wise your buttercream icing will melt!
Sometimes I enjoy eating this cake without icing. Just adding some grass fed butter and warming it up in the microwave...mmm so good! Not as sweet this way, but just as delicious <3